Sunday, March 24, 2013

March Sensory Tub - Springtime Rainbow Rice and Easter Eggs

Like many others in blogland, our March sensory tub features rainbow rice and plastic Easter eggs.



I've been wanting to make rainbow rice for ages, and I'm annoyed I waited so long. It was simple, quick, and the kids are crazy about it. I combined 1 cup of rice, 1 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol, and a few drops of food coloring in a mixing bowl and stirred until evenly colored. Dumped it on a cookie sheet, wiped down the bowl and spoon, and moved on to the next color. I let it dry overnight, but a few hours would have likely done the trick.

The colors looked lovely side by side in a clear tub.



And even more beautiful once they were all mixed together.



I started by offering it as shown, but Meg and her friend have quickly added metal pots and pans from her play kitchen, plastic bowls, a potato masher, and funnels scavenged from the kitchen drawers. Since the rice is in a wide, shallow tub, there's plenty of room for the two girls to play together happily. It's been out all month, and they still play with it for a good half hour to an hour each day.






Photobucket

No comments: