Friday, November 19, 2010

Craft Room Tour

When we bought this house, it was with the intention that we'd be staying here for a good long time. We wanted to put down roots long and strong. We also had an eye toward the fact that we hoped to have a large family (whether biologically or through fostering and/or adopting).

The long and short of it is, we ended up with a five bedroom house. Being that after our last set of foster kids moved on we didn't have nearly enough bodies to fill all those rooms, one became my craft room. Previously, I'd stored all my craft supplies in our office, and it worked just fine for my needs. But now I've tasted ambrosia, and I don't ever want to go back. I find I'm so much more productive with a dedicated craft room. Everything is laid out neatly and visibly, and I can leave projects out until they're completed without the family tripping over them.

When you walk in the door, you're greeted by two behemoth bookshelves brimming with supplies, tools, and discarded household objects waiting to find a new life.






Someday when I have a lot of extra time on my hands (ha!), I'd like to decoupage and label the lids.


Across from the bookshelves is my sewing wall.


I really need a larger bookshelf for fabric.

The baskets on the bookshelf hold embroidery supplies.

Open storage means I'm more likely to put things away as I go.


It's sad when your works in progress can fill a container that reaches the ceiling.

If I ever get a larger fabric bookshelf, I'll move my scrap pile to the bottom shelf.  It's reaching epic proportions.


Beside the large bookshelves are a few Ikea hanging hampers.

I swear I'm not a pill junkie.  Friends and family give me their old pill bottles, as they know I'll find some use for them.


Tucked away in the corner is an inspiration board.

Though how inspiring it can be stuck in the corner, I don't know.


Under the hampers and board is a perpetually-full tub of things to be repaired.



We had an extra TV when a family friend gave us theirs for our family room, so we moved this one into the craft room. It's nice to pop in a movie to keep the little one entertained while I work...

...or to watch some Hepburn while my husband is on a football kick.


My scrapbooking and papercrafts table is under the window. I have it lowered so it's comfortable to work sitting on the floor.

Our neighbors have such pretty yards, it's a pleasure to look out at them while I work.


I really need to work on my scrapbooking storage system.  Too many closed boxes wedged together.

I try to neaten the pile now and then, but it always gets crazy before long.


The closet houses big, bulky, seldom-used items, as well as giftwrapping supplies.


Someday I'm going to find a use for all these children's store hangers.  Until then, they're staying.

I save large boxes for mailing.

Under the boxes, there's order.


I had to remove anything not for Margaret before I took this picture.  Below the gifts are 6 Rubbermaid bins full of teen magazines from my adolescence.  I am teased frequently for saving these.

So there's the grand tour of where I spend most naptimes and nights when I should be sleeping a few hours before bed each night.


Photobucket

5 comments:

Sophie (BNaBBT) said...

Sooo jealous! I would love to have that much space to dedicate to crafting, and all those neat supplies to play with! I'm afraid I could never keep it all wonderfully organized the way you have though...

Hannah/SW said...

Holy crap, girl!

Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

It's a sickness I have, friends.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You work organizational magic.

Emily aka Autumnlass

Mindy Sims said...

This is why you never lost a single piece to any toy you owned.